Sunday 19 January 2014

BBC The Musketeers - My First Opinions


So, episode one is now over and we have been introduced to The Musketeers 'for the 21st Century'. And, I have to say, I rather enjoyed it. Not as dark as I had feared it would be, in fact, it's tone is very similar to the 1973/4 films: humour, action and some dastardly deeds by Richelieu, and boy! was he dastardly. The body count due to his machinations was almost in double figures.

So, the other characters, what of them?

D'Artagnan, or should I call him Inigo Montoya, because he did almost utter the immortal phrase, 'You killed my father, prepare to die' - almost, it was so close - is hot headed, to the point of producing some of the laughs in the piece by rushing headlong into things - you can see it coming a mile away, but it's still funny :).

Athos is dark and moody with a mysterious back story involving a murderous woman - ooo, I like him already! ;P

Aramis is a dandy who follows his nether regions around and that is going to get him into so much trouble, but I won't say why, you have to watch the show to find out.

And Porthos - hmm - I'm not sure about Porthos yet - he's a cheat, but I haven't got my head around him yet. He was a bit of a leader in this ep due to Athos being indisposed, and he's a damn good musketeer, but he has me wondering.

Milady disappointed me a little, she was all calm and collected, but not quite the seductress the plot had her be (for me, this is a personal opinion), however then pow, at the end, we see what lies under that beautiful surface and it's fiery and nuts!

And finally, Constance, I love Constance! She's sweet and caring and is willing to tell her favourite three musketeers what for when she has to. She's a great character and I hope she carries on in the same vein for the rest of the series.

I wouldn't call the show subtle, but the cast is good, the characters have started out well and I am looking forward to some more buckling of swashes next week. So Richelieu, bring it on, the musketeers can handle you!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by - I'd love to hear from you. :)