Sunday 19 January 2014

BBC - The (Three) Musketeers 2014 - new for the 21st Century - really?



I've warily looking forward to this new version of The (Three) Musketeers (they've dropped the Three), 'warily' being because of the insistence on it 'being for a 21st century audience' - because, sometimes, shows try too hard to be different. There's certainly plenty of eye candy in this show, with all the main cast easy on the eye. However, what piqued my interest was Peter Capaldi's face popping up in the trailer. I can't wait to see Capaldi's Richelieu, because I've loved him as an actor since Lair of The White Worm and later Neverwhere (I wonder if they'll have to replace him in Season 2 if it's renewed, or if the shooting schedule for DW and Musketeers will work out - if the show's any good, I'm hoping for the latter).


Interesting that the production is claiming it's going to be darker than other adaptations, I think they mean 'angsty' ;P - I'm only going on the trailer here. 1974 's The Four Musketeers was pretty dark in places, just because it has lots of humour doesn't mean it doesn't handle the tough stuff, esp around Constance and M'lady. I hope there'll be some lifts in this new version as well, because 'dark and gritty' is all very well, but I don't want to come out the other end more depressed than I went in - if I wanted to do that, I could go watch a soap opera.

Ah well, it starts tonight (19th Jan) on BBC 1 at 9pm, so I'm going to give it a try.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by - I'd love to hear from you. :)