Saturday 7 March 2015

Guest Post: Interview With Nathaniel Danes Author of The Last Hero

Today, I am happy to welcome Nathaniel Danes, author of Science Fiction book, The Last Hero. He has agreed to answer some questions!


Can you tell us a little about yourself?
I'm a pretty regular guy. I like my beer and football but I also write science fiction novels. The universes I create are an escape for me. I'm losing my sight to a genetic disorder and am almost blind. It's fun to imagine world's where I don't have limitations.

Tell us about your book(s).
Right now I'm knee deep in THE LAST HERO trilogy. Book 1, The Last Hero, is out and book 2, The Last Revenge, will be out in a month or so.
The series starts off with Earth rushing to remobilize their military to defend themselves from a new alien threat. The main character, Trent Maxwell, is the last Medal of Honor recipient in U.S. history and he's tagged to lead the first counter-strike. It's hard for him to leave his daughter behind, but the stakes are too high, he has to fight again.

Writing – why?
I've always had an overactive imagination and, as I've said, I use it as a coping mechanism for my loss of vision. I always wanted to share the stories I wrote in my head but I'm also dyslexic and the idea of me writing a book was a crazy idea for many years. However, college, grad school, and a day job that requires a lot of writing conspired to sharpen my skills. Once I had the ability to share them, they demanded to be set free.

Do you have a favourite character from your book(s)? Why?
Certainly do. Anna, because she's based on my own little girl.

What is your favourite genre and why?
I love writing science fiction for a couple of reasons. One, the future is a blank canvas with limitless possibilities. That kind of freedom to dream is fun. Secondly, I believe the human race, driven by our thrust for knowledge and sense of adventure, will achieve great things in the centuries to come. I like to think about how we'll get there.

Do you have any odd (writing) habits?
I don't think it's odd, but a lot of folks find it interesting my novels are written entirely on an iPad Mini without a keyboard, 90,000-plus words all by thumbs.

If you could invite one character from someone else's books to dinner, who would it be? 
Ender from Ender's Game. Who wouldn't want to talk military history with the greatest military mind in history.

Are you a dog or a cat person, why?
Dog. Never, ever trust a cat. Their just waiting to try and take over. If it weren't for dogs they just might've done it by now.

~

The Last Hero (The Last Hero #1)

Contact with a race of pacifists convinces mankind to lay down its weapons and keep the peace. The last Medal of Honor recipient, Trent Maxwell, trades glory for the comforts of a family after the U.S. Army disbands. All that ends when an alien menace attacks the New Earth colony, which forces a crash mobilization. Trent finds himself reactivated and traveling through space to distant worlds, in order to stop this new enemy. During the century long journey of death, love, and loss, he also deals with the law of relativity that wreaks havoc with his daughter.

Buy Links:

Excerpt:
Trent knelt down where Anna could throw her arms around his neck. She pulled against him tight and started crying again. Tears rolled down his face as he whispered, “I love you more than you can understand. I’m sorry.”

Her cries downed out his soft words.

After a minute, Trent summoned all of his strength to break free of her hold. Standing, he shared a look with Madison. She wrapped him in a loving, warm hug.   

This time she did the whispering, “Remember what I told you. Make them pay.”

He pulled away, nodding as he placed his hand on Anna’s sobbing head. 

“I’ll see you both again someday. I promise.” The words bound him to a promise he wasn’t sure he could keep.


About Nathaniel Danes:

Nathaniel Danes is a self-diagnosed sci-fi junkie and, according to his wife, has an over active imagination. Mostly blind, he writes to create universes where he has no limitations. He lives with his wife and daughter in the Washington, DC area.

1 comment:

  1. Ooh, this book sounds interesting. It kind of sounds like Interstellar, which I adored, so I'll have to check it out. And as a cat person, I totally agree that they're trying to take over the world. I think it's the lack of opposable thumbs that has so far kept them at bay. ;)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by - I'd love to hear from you. :)